Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.
History of the Blue Star Mothers of America,
On January 22, 1942 the Flint News Advertiser printed a coupon asking Mothers of servicemen to return
the coupon after filling it out. The following February 1st, 300 members met in the Durant Hotel, in Flint, Michigan.
Captain George H. Maines, who had conceived the idea for this group, acted as the chair of this first meeting. It was
decided that after receiving 1000 responses from the ad to form a permanent organization. On February 6th the organization
was reported on Congressional record. Chapters then formed in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon,
California, Iowa and Washington. In June of 1960 the organization was charted by Congress.
You may view the
Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II. They worked in hospitals, train stations,
packed care packages for soldiers and were an working part of homeland security during times of our time of war. The
organization waned in size over the years but has held together by mothers showing pride in both their children and country.
In recent times we have began to grow in strength. Being attacked on our own soil has once again started mothers hanging
flags in their windows at home proclaiming pride in the fact that we have children protecting our freedom during a time of
war. Our organization not only provides support for active duty service personnel, promotes patriotism, assista Veterans
organizations, and are available to assist in homeland volunteer efforts to help our country remain strong.
information was taken from the Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc. webpage
2008 Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.